Metroland Media/WheelsTalk.com -
The Mitsubishi i-MiEV four-passenger all-electric vehicle enters the 2013 model year with a new, mid-range SE model, faster charging, plus heated front seats and seatbacks.
Just released by Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada (MMSCAN), the 2013 i-MiEV hatchback features an improved 120-volt, two-mode cable that can reduce charging time from 22 to 14 hours (from empty). The more common 240-volt Level Two charger is unchanged, requiring up to seven hours from empty.
The new 2013 i-MiEV SE includes all the features of the base ES model plus upgrades such as 15-inch alloy wheels, premium seat fabric, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, 360-watt audio system, silver cluster accents and dual-vanity mirrors.
An optional Navigation Package offers a 40-GB, hard-disc drive navigation system on a seven-inch touch-screen display with rearview camera and Bluetooth connectivity. The i-MiEV SE Navigation Package effectively replaces the Premium model from 2012 model year.
Complete driver and front passenger seat heating has been added for 2013. Whereas previous i-MiEVs featured a heated driver’s seat cushion, all 2013 models include heated seat backs for the driver and front passenger, along with a heated front passenger seat cushion.
The MSRP on the 2013 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES model is $33,998, and $35,498 on the SE model; add an MSRP of $2,500 for the Navigation Package.
All 2013 i-MiEVs feature a long list of standard equipment:
- AC synchronous motor (66 horsepower, 145 ft. lbs. of torque)
- Six airbags – dual front, dual side-impact curtain and front-seat mounted side-impact airbags
- Four wheel anti-lock brakes and electronic brake-force distribution
- Active Stability Control and Traction Control Logic (comprised of stability control which stabilizes the vehicle when it detects skidding and traction control to control wheels from spinning when detecting loss of traction over slippery surfaces)
- Brake Assist and Brake Override Systems
- Anti-theft immobilizer and anti-theft security alarm system
- MacPherson strut front suspension, three-link de Dion rear suspension
- Power windows and door locks with remote keyless entry
- 50/50 split folding rear seats
- Heated front seats and six-way adjustable driver’s seat
- Air conditioning and micron air filtration
- Battery warmer
- MiEV Remote for timer charging, remote climate control (pre-cooling and pre-heating during charging)
- Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System for pedestrians
The Mitsubishi i-MiEV is a rear-wheel-drive, five-door, four-passenger, subcompact hatchback with a range of up to 155 km. It is the only electric car in Canada to offer a DC quick charging port as standard equipment. The “quick charger” provides i-MiEV an 80 per cent charge in less than 30 minutes.
Launched in late 2011, MMSCAN delivered 219 i-MiEV hatchbacks across Canada as of December 31, 2012.
In the forefront of advanced, electric-vehicle technology, i-MiEV was named the most fuel-efficient subcompact car sold in Canada by Natural Resources Canada in 2012. It achieves the equivalent of 1.9 L/100 km in city driving, 2.4 L/100 km on highways, and 2.1 L/100 km combined “fuel” economy.
i-MiEV is backed by an eight-year/160,000 km Battery Limited Warranty, a three-year/60,000 km New Vehicle Limited Warranty and a unique five-year/100,000 km powertrain warranty with a three-year/unlimited Roadside Assistance program with concierge service.