Metroland Media/WheelsTalk.com –
The new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee redefines the premium SUV with a sophisticated exterior design complete with available new bi-xenon headlamps with signature LED daytime running lamps (DRL). The interior embraces the finest amenities including Natura leather, exotic open-pore wood trim and new color options.
The advanced Uconnect 8.4-inch touchscreen radio with integrated climate and infotainment controls, a 7-inch customer configurable multiview display cluster, Uconnect Access Via Mobile and cloud-based voice texting all contribute to the overall premium feel.
Delivering a best-in-class 30 miles per gallon (mpg) highway courtesy of a new 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 engine for North America and a new eight-speed transmission; the new 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 boasts an unmatched driving range of more than 730 miles.
A new eight-speed transmission drives the new EcoDiesel, as well as Grand Cherokee’s 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine achieving up to 25 mpg highway and more than 600-miles driving range. Its 5.7-liter V-8 can now achieve up to 21 mpg highway.
With more than 60 safety and security features, including Front Park Assist, Forward Collision Warning with Crash Mitigation, Adaptive Cruise Control, and Selec-Speed Control a priority on safety was placed without compromising performance.
Legendary Jeep capability comes courtesy of three available 4×4 systems, Jeep’s Quadra-Lift air suspension system and class-leading Selec-Terrain traction management system. Grand Cherokee boasts best-in-class towing of 7,400 pounds, and an improved crawl ratio of 44.1:1 for 2014.
Built in Detroit, the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee is available in Laredo, Limited, Overland and Summit models.
Quadra-Lift air suspension system
The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee rises above the road and rocks with the rugged, class-exclusive Quadra-Lift air suspension system. The Quadra-Lift system features five height settings for optimum ride performance:
• Normal Ride Height (NRH): 8.7 inches of clearance offers improved fuel economy as well as improved aerodynamics during on-road driving
• Off-road 1: Lifts the vehicle an additional 1.3 inches from NRH for added height in clearing obstacles (10.0 inches)
• Off-road 2: Delivers legendary Jeep off-road capability and provides an additional 2.6 inches from NRH for 11.3 inches of ground clearance
• Park Mode: Lowers the vehicle 1.6 inches from NRH for easy ingress/egress. NRH and Park Mode are driver selectable allowing the driver full control over vehicle ride height
• Aero Mode: Lowers the vehicle 0.6 inches from NRH. Aero Mode is controlled by vehicle speed and adjusts for optimal performance and fuel economy. The vehicle will also lower to Aero Mode when in Sport Mod
Selec-Terrain traction control system allows drivers to choose the on- and off-road setting for optimum performance. This feature electronically coordinates up to 12 different powertrain, braking and suspension systems, including throttle control, transmission shift, transfer case, Hill-descent Control and Selec-Speed Control.
The Selec-Terrain system has been refined for 2014 and offers five different driving conditions to achieve the best driving experience on all terrains:
• Sand: Traction control and Quadra-Lift operate with sensitive response to wheel spin, and torque tuned for optimal performance in sand
• Mud: Traction control and Quadra-Lift operate with sensitive response to wheel spin, and torque tuned for optimal performance in mud
• Auto: Automatically adapts to any on- or off-road situation
• Snow: Vehicle traction adjust for ultimate performance over snow-covered roads
• Rock: Quadra-Lift air suspension system raises to maximum height of 11.3 inches, while the transfer case, differentials, and throttle coordinate to provide low-speed control
Sport Mode, previously found on the Selec-Terrain controller, is now engaged with the shift lever. Sport Mode provides enhanced on-road “fun-to-drive” capability.
Selec-Terrain, coupled with the Quadra-Lift air suspension, offers drivers an adjustable suspension span that delivers Trail Rated performance.
New Selec-Speed Control with Hill-ascent and Hill-descent Control allows drivers to control Grand Cherokee’s speed both up and down steep, rugged grades with the steering wheel paddle shifters – without the need for throttle or brake pedals (late availability on EcoDiesel).
New Eco Mode
Eco Mode optimizes the transmission’s shift schedule and, in V-8 models, Fuel Saver cylinder deactivation. In addition, the Eco Mode activates Grand Cherokee’s air suspension system, lowering it to “Aero Ride Height” when the vehicle speed remains between 52 mph and 56 mph, or exceeds 56 mph.