With the start of the summer driving season approaching, NewRoads Chevrolet Cadillac Buick GMC would like to take this opportunity to provide a tip or two to save you dollars. Drive smarter to help improve fuel economy and save money at the pump. With the price of a litre of gasoline continuing its seemingly relentless path upwards this is the first of three different articles on saving you a few dollars over the course of a year.
- Forget drive-through lanes. Seriously. Sitting in a line up waiting for that double-double as your engine idles, burns gas – resulting in poor fuel economy. Shut off the engine and walk into the coffee shop. Sitting idling for 10 – 15 minutes burns through about a half litre of gas.
- Take it easy. In the city, don’t do jackrabbit starts from green lights or stop signs. You’ll catch up to the cars ahead too soon and will have to brake hard to stop. Remember, aggressive driving isn’t going to get you home any faster; driving smoothly can improve your mileage by as much as 20 per cent.
- On highways, drive the limit. Driving an additional 10-15 kilometres per hour over the posted limit may earn you a ticket; observing the limit will save you dollars by using less gas – and likely won’t add much time to your daily commute.
- Use cruise control whenever possible. Maintaining a constant speed is more efficient than speeding up and slowing down over and over.
- Roll up the windows .At slower speeds, turning off the A/C can save you a little, but always roll up the windows on the highway. Driving at speed, the open windows act like a parachute. This drag consumes much more energy than air conditioning.
In the market for a new or a quality pre-owned vehicle? Look no further than the professionals at NewRoads Chevrolet Cadillac Buick GMC. All our Associates in every department are here for you. Call 905-898-2277. Or come on down to our new dealership at 18100 Yonge St. inNewmarket– we’d love to see you and talk about how we can work together.